Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Please Spare the Bontogs!

After hearing Mass at Pink Sisters Convent last Sunday, my husband and I headed for a pig out at Matias Food House in Mandaue City. It was our second time to go there and we were in for a surprise! The reason? They added a new specialty of the house – grilled Bontog bird!

I thought it was a chick when I held the BBQ stick up, but it was bigger than a chick so I asked a staff what it was. He said it was a Bontog bird. I exclaimed, “A bird? Why would anyone eat a small bird in a well-known food house?” My daring husband ordered one as he wanted to know how it tasted.

Though I felt pity for the little bird, I thought of having a bite of it as well. It was yummy, tender and crisp. My prejudice against the one who sold it was suddenly washed down with its tang.

But not until I decided to research about the bontogs on the internet.

February 18, 2009—A rare quail from the Philippines was photographed for the first time before being sold as food at a poultry market.

Found only on the island of Luzon, Worcester's buttonquail was known solely through drawings based on dated museum specimens collected several decades ago, and is known to be extinct.

Michael Lu, president of the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines, told AFP the bird's demise should inspire a "local consciousness" about the region's threatened wildlife.

"What if this was the last of its species?" Lu said.

(Source: NationalGeographic.com)

Poor little birds!

But I can’t uneat the bontog which I attacked with gusto from Matias, can I? My only consolation for now is that I can do my share to save extinct birds from human threats which of course includes not eating grilled bontogs again.

Wait, what about tokmo and dimodlaw? (It's my hobby to hunt birds using an air gun in our province.)

I guess I really have to research further what kind of birds that can be freely hunted and what should be fiercely protected.

No comments: