Monday, March 23, 2009

The Anatomy of Lechon

My sister Joy passed the Nursing Board Exam in February and had her Thanksgiving Party last Saturday. Since I couldn’t go home, I just called her up and asked what food were served to the guests. She said, “oh, you should be here, I know you’d love the adobo, pork chop, pancit, shrimps, crabs, salads, etc.. and of course, the crispy lechon. You know naman nanay when it comes to preparing a bash, she goes all the way man jud. “ Sigh. I missed eating lechon.

When I was about to ask Mark to buy me lechon for lunch (so as not to deprive my craving which I qualified as "paglilihi"), the SMS came like an apparition, “manang, if you happen to crave for lechon, forget it, it’s bad for the baby, you know, it’s fatty.” Ahhh, when it rains, it really pours. So I didn’t try to push my luck for the reason that I don’t want to harm my baby in any way.

But mind you, luck was on my side because yesterday, after Mark and his staff had their field exercise in Talisay, they brought.. guess what?.. lechon for lunch! Yes! Lechon.. slurrppy.. finally. I couldn’t resist the temptation because its smell was too good for me to deny. And so I ate with my hands like everyone else seated at the long table and I ate with gusto, wiping out everything including the bones (our cat had its own fair share as well). It was indeed bad for my health but certainly good for my soul. However, I promised to myself not to eat lechon as often as I want to because it’s really rich in fat and cholesterol.

Yet it’s hard not to yearn for it especially I’m living in the Queen City of Lechon (errr.. the South). Cebu’s lechon is really the best in the country, you know. It’s crispy, tasty, and flavorful. It’s said that Cebuanos in the lechon business guard their methods and recipes like gold that’s why one can find the yummiest lechon only in Cebu.

In Market Manila (my favorite source of food insights), it is said that the secret lies on the tanglad (lemongrass) which is stuffed inside the pig (it explains why it smells so enticing) and the pig skin is rubbed with knorr sinigang mix, salt, pepper, and olive or canola oil. Or herbs are injected to the meat and then the skin is basted with milk or soda or coconut milk. Also, Cebuanos use native pigs and they roast them gradually over open fire until it's tender inside. They put into effect the virtue of patience well that’s why their lechons are crispy to the bones.

Well, enough for lechon baboy talk today. I’m now wanting another roasted delight, another Cebu’s best - lechon manok! Hmmmm. Sr. Pedro here I come!

No comments: