Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Day in a Military Wife's Life

“As I rouse from deep sleep, I offered a prayer to God for a good day ahead. Just then, a voice over the PA system announced: It is now recall. It is now recall.”

As a military wife, I can't help being like a PA system that sounds off at five in the morning to remind my military husband to get up and prepare for the day at such an awful hour.

That’s basically when and how my typical day begins.

I figured that it would be all right to let you know my daily schedule. Though, I must add, that it does not apply to every military wife’s life because every family in the armed forces is different – some have working moms while others stay at home, and some have no children while others have one or more. So, all of these schedules would definitely look different.

0500 Reveille (means hit the alarm and wake hubby up)

0515 This is the final warning and he has to get up. Otherwise, I set the alarm beside him so he would be rudely awakened. He leaves our bedroom, do some exercise or inspection at the unit, and I hit the pillow once again.

0630 Time to forcefully pull myself out of the bed and take a bath ahead of my husband.

0645 I prepare his uniform as he showers. This is also my time to watch the news on TV.

0700 Breakfast (I have to eat with him at the dining area with some members of his troop and I make it to the point to look at my best. I dread this part sometimes because there are days when I just want to look like a simple Jane Doe, you know just wear my old worn out shorts and tops, but I can't.)

0800 Hubby does his duties as Commanding Officer while I clean our room which happens to be just adjoined to his office. Convenient no? Nah, not at all times because I have to give him all the space and time in the world even if he is just arms’ length away from me. Then, I do the things I love to do such as reading books, surfing the net, eating, and doing feasibility study for a business.

1200 – Lunch (Thank heavens someone from the troop is cooking our meals otherwise I would run around the kitchen on my pumps. Remember I have to look presentable at all times? I wonder if I could even roll my eyes in front of someone.)

1300 – If I don’t go out, I usually head down for a long nap.

1900 – Dinner. After that, I surf the net or watch the news. Hubby would still be working at this time.

2200 – Taps. Woo hoo! This is my bonding time with my Mark. Usually, we just talk and talk until we get sleepy and call it a night.

Now this is just a regular day, nothing exciting and I haven't really explained completely what I do during the day. It’s not as easy as you think, trust me. As I’ve said, this is just a typical day, wait until you hear about inspection week or when he must work late (late means wee hours in the morning). That's a whole other blog though.

No comments: