Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How to Manage Your Finances Well


We hear and feel the singsong of global economic crisis, people losing jobs, commodity prices going up, and so on. Are we really going rock bottom? If we are, then we’re lucky because there’s no other way but up, right? If we aren’t, then we really have to tighten our belts more and longer.

From my end, I consider myself fortunate because I and my family are not affected directly with all these. (Or not yet.. simbako intawon!) As long as we have food on our table, love in our hearts, good health, honest profession, and divine blessings – which I deem are the truest wealth- we’re okay, alive, and kicking. However, I consider myself frugal too; frugal in the context of saving more and spending less. Yes, I drool and spend (sometimes on impulse) on fashion, books, and other chuvah chuvah, but I feel guilty when I go overboard, and when I feel guilty, I make amends on my budgeting right away. I deduct here or add there, you know. Thus, I’m frugal who knows how to plan and enjoy life at the same time.

I want to share Miriam Quiambao’s financial plan which she shared on Ruffa and Ai’s show a month ago. She learned it from a seminar abroad and she assured everyone that it works when followed earnestly. I am trying to employ it myself and hopefully it will go a long way for me financially.

Basically, you just have to distribute your net earnings. Let’s say you have net salary of Php 5,000 a month. Here’s the breakdown:

Necessities (50%) Php 2,500 -Food, clothing, rent, utilities, transportation expenses, etc.

Financial Freedom (10%) Php 500 –Investment for properties, businesses or interests, etc.

Education (10%) Php 500 –Education for kids (if there’s any) or further education for yourself like maybe you want to study web programming or painting or dancing, etc.

Long-Term Spending (10%) Php 500 –Pay long-term debts like car loans, housing loans, etc.

Play (10%) Php 500 –Travels, eating in fancy restaurants, watching concerts, etc.

Give (10%) Php 500 – Kindness spreads happiness, remember? So don’t forget also to share to your family or friends or the church or any charitable institution.

Okay, okay, okay.. I cheat sometimes. I cut bigger than 10% for Play, and cut it out from the rest. But the main thing is, I have a plan. It keeps me on the right path to financial freedom. Hopefully, as I've said, it will take me a long way. I can only hope for the best.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am indeed one of those millions who dont lost job. Been 2 months jobless na ntwn jane..hehehe..super ang crisis here sa Dubai..Sad to note that in our building a Pinoy Architect committed suicide.He was one had a high position in the company and definetely had bonggang-bongga nga salary.In just a snap of a finger, he lost his job and lost his life..

Thanks God naa nmn hinuon ko job offer but gmay nlang lgi salary unlike before..But as u said, HUGOT BAKOS sa lang gyd..

Keep on sharing so Ill keep on reading..hehehe..

-yellowbelle-

Anonymous said...

Correction..Sorry, havent proofread..


*One of those millions who lost job..as n Wla na work..ng close ang company..Faet.. :)

*He once had high position in the company..

-yellowbelle-

Anonymous said...

Oh sadness.. so sorry to hear about the architect.. ana na jud ka-faet ang life no?

sige lang, bahala lisod gwafa man pud kaayo ka! mao na one of the assets na di mapalit og money - beauty inside out!

just go on, girl. ika nga, there are million holes in this world, only one is meant for you, so keep looking and looking and looking for it. don't give up. kaya mo yan!

i'll be here if you need someone to talk it out with..

ingatz!

jane

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is really best to save rather than spending too much for our WANTS. I have made plans for myself on how to manage my money as well. Got some sidelines aside from my work, and manage them as well to make a little extra to support the house hold expenses. I am single yet I am motivating myself to save and really tighten my belt nowadays! But I am very happy with the result then.

Jane said...

Good for you, donna! Thanks for dropping by and hope to see more of you here. God bless!