Friday, January 9, 2009

5 Steps to Better Sex


If there is one show that I have to follow religiously, it’s got to be Oprah. I watch it every weeknight on Hallmark Channel and find it very informative and entertaining.

This week Oprah ran a special entitled Oprah’s Best Life Series. Last Monday to yesterday, she tackled about money, spirit, health, and weight. Tonight was all about the most sensual of all – intimacy and sex.

Man, to say that it was interesting is an understatement. It was a shocker to someone like me who is clueless regarding the tight spots on sex. Not that I don’t read FHM or other sex-rousing magazines but it was happening for real to real couples.

One wife claimed that she has not experienced an orgasm for all twenty years of being married. Her husband did not know that she was just faking it through the years. Another couple attested that after a few years into their marriage and two children, their passion for sex just simply died down. They could not even remember when the last time they did it.

Well, what can I say? My husband and I have healthy sex life but I don’t want to talk about our bedroom romances here, okay? For me, it’s a very private thing.

However, I admire those couples who guested on Oprah. I think they were courageous to tell the whole world about their sex dilemmas. I know it wasn’t easy for them but in a way, they were being helped by an expert and also they helped other couples who have same problems as theirs.

It was indeed an eye opener.

According to Dr. Laura Berman, a renowned sex therapist, the five steps to reclaim sex life are the following (please click links to Oprah’s site for detailed explanations):

1. Tell the truth about your sex life.
2. Ask for what you want from your partner.
3. Let go of negative messages that affect your arousal.
4. See a doctor because maybe little sex drive is a sign of something serious.
5. Make sex a priority.

Honestly, for me, sex is the most important expression of love for your spouse. If you love her or him deeply, you will ultimately get the happiness and satisfaction you need. Otherwise, you will certainly go down the drain.

No comments: