Saturday, January 3, 2009

Reaching Out

My mother used to tell me and my siblings to always start our year right by showing kindness to other people. Thus, it has become our family tradition to give out clothes and shoes that we’ve grown out of, old bags and other things in our closets.

This year, my sister and I chose a woman who has an admirable strength and unwavering faith in God.

Here's her story..

She is a midwife by profession but she preferred to just stay at home taking care of her four children (the eldest is still in high school while the youngest is about seven years old) when her husband was working abroad. They were doing well until two years ago, he got sick and came home with paralysis.

She worried of her family's future but she gathered all her strength as she knew she had to be strong for her family. She then decided to volunteer as a nurse aide in a government hospital earning only an honorarium fee. As sideline, she would accept laundry after work and on weekends. (They also live in the slums with no decent access to clean water and proper sanitation.)

In spite of everything, this woman remains collected, patient, and prayerful. She is also fun to be around. She laughs and laughs as if she's not carrying the world on her shoulders.

I definitely admire her and so we gave her our bundle of joy.

As the old adage goes: Kindness spreads happiness. I totally agree.

4 comments:

Alpha Romeo said...

That's very sweet & thoughtful of you Jane. Honestly, with all the annual reports to make I'm still dazed & confused. And here you are already making a difference. Here's what I've done recently:
a) declined a directorship for our subdivision (local politics)
b) did not attend the annual recommitment of BCBP
c) still trying to figure out an internet-related package I bought
d) helped last minute school assignments of son & daughter
d) mapping out plans for '09

Well, to your success in Oh Nine. Cheers! P.S. I'm still consolidating all my ebooks, software, vids, etc. gathering cyberdust on my drive. Gadaghan ra ang theory, walay application.

yellowbelle said...

Hi jane.im sure u aint familiar of me, personally.was just bumping with joy and ur parents when i was still in Phil-cogtong n cebu.btw, im ryan aratan. niece of aunt bebie aratan salas.

nways, if u noticed i always view ur fs. i just love to see new pics (w ur hubby..overflowing w love)and of course what i always look forward is new entry to ur blog.and this is such a nice one.pretty inspiring.

on the other hand, i do appreciate ur enthusiasm blogging religiously.u just inspire me to write more and more each day..as in uber i commend u for this..indeed!

God bless u and ur hubby..one of the things i admire as well-the love u share with each other..

keep it up!.

Anonymous said...

Robert, thanks kaayo sa always na pagbisita sa ko blog and for always leaving nice comments too. Life is more inspriring to live coz i've friends (even just cyber friends) like you. I'm looking forward to read your blogs. Pag-start na nya this year. I know it'll be fun coz you are a fun person as well. All the best, my friend. More blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

louie or ryan, thanks for the nice comment. it warms my heart indeed. are we friends na ba in friendster? if yes, what profile name nimo? i tried to find you there but there was no louie or ryan aratan in my friends. if not yet, pls add me up nya ha?! Hope we can be good friends. Thanks again for dropping by! God bless.