Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tale of a Half Blind

The beep came right after we watched Lake Placid on HBO as if cuing us to fall out before going to bed. I was infuriated by the content of the message. He justified that it was entirely work-related. Obviously, I did not believe him right away as my mind was clouded with suspicion.

He went upstairs while I lingered in the living room longer. After that, I had my routine to clean my contact lenses when I accidentally rinsed them down the sink. I was so angry at my clumsy self. I had no choice but to talk to him about it otherwise I would be partly unsighted the next day. Then in his cool soothing way (one thing that I really love about him), he hugged and told me not worry any more because he would buy me another pair. My heart melted instantly and as essential as breathing air, we cuddled to sleep.

I am literally half blind, you know. I totally depend on a pair of negative 5.00 contact lenses (I used to have glasses but I eventually found them cumbersome to wear). Without these thin round plastic lenses, everything around me would be dim.

Nonetheless, my handicap makes me think that I already have sacrificed enough that's why God pampers me abundantly in other aspects of my life. It also teaches me to truly cherish the beauty and wonders that come my way. And most importantly, I learn to see things with my heart.

After Mark had his Tae-Bo, he drove me to SM on his Lifan Cruiser. Actually, our ride was a déjà vu of what happened in 2002. We were new lovers then; we went riding on his brother’s bike under the blanket of shining stars when suddenly a strong wind swept my right lens away. He was worried but I said it was okay as long as he was beside me. This time, he guided me through the darkness and told me that all is going to be well as long as I am with him.

As a final point, the unwelcomed text message and lost contact lenses were incidents that I consider as little bumps along our way. I believe that we can make it through the long, dark, and winding road as long as we deeply trust each other.
at Kenny Rogers Roasters (mark's fave resto)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Half blind meets half blind in cyberspace, that makes a pair of good eyes. Murag kusog2x dyud magpadagan si bosing da kay natangtang man ang lense.

I too had the same mishap, when I woke up gialimungawan pa ko nga gihugasan nako ang lense keeper instead of my hands para itaud unta, ooops! a costly mistake kay nahulog sad sa drain ang usa. One Eye Pag-asa kon dili mopalit ug lain. Mine is -5.5.

I've opened this post before but just skimmed thru, what attracted me most was the chicken - makagutom.

Anonymous said...

Thank you kaayo Robert! Robert na lang kay basin mabundak nako sulti ang Roberto taga-Bohol ra ba ko. LOL. Worse pa diay imoha eyes kay -5.5 na man diay! It's hard no na mag-depend na ta sa lenses. If i don't wear it i'm litterally half blind. Are you considering to have a LASIK? I'm afraid man to undergo that coz bawal na daw ang direct sunlight after the surgery. Eh, ako pa naman i like the outdoors. Well, as i've said, my handicap makes me special to God kaya HE blesses me in other aspects of my life. Thanks Rob (Rob na lang diay para cuter.. hehe..) for dropping by at my site. I appreciate it a lot. God bless!