Friday, December 12, 2008

Husband Reacts

When Mark (my then boyfriend of five years) asked me to marry him, I told him yes right away but with two conditions. First, I should have me-alone-time every week because there are certain things that I want to do on my own such as reading. Second, I easily get bored with routines so he should support me in looking for something that perks me up like books. He might think those were just easy terms that’s why he agreed without any second thought.

I bought a copy of Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum just few months into our marriage. I didn’t eat nor sleep until I finished the book. He was shocked. Then he also read it in order to understand me more yet it took him three months to finish. I was shocked.

As expected, I got obsessed with Jason Bourne. I was agitated when I couldn’t find the sequel right away. He helped me look for it everywhere but to no avail. I then asked a friend of mine in the US to buy me the other two books in the series - Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum. I was happy to get hold of them. Perhaps that was the turning point of my husband’s empathy to my passion in reading. (By the way, I didn’t like the Bourne movie trilogy at all. It did not give Ludlum’s plot a much deserved justice.)

When we had our cable TV installed, my mind was fully diverted to tennis. I saw Mark’s relief when I spent most of my “me time” with him by watching the tournaments.

The tennis season ended in the last week of November just in time Twilight also hit the theaters. Well, you know what happened after that. I got infatuated with Edward, to say the least.

At first Mark just shrugged it off. I mean, why would he care when he knew in his heart that this was just pure craziness? He didn’t mind at all if I talked about another man, a fictional man, if I may add. He was so cool about it.

Until last Tuesday evening when he found me in my chair exactly the same way he left me that morning – reading more Edwards, as he said. He looked perturbed.

I was surprised when he woke me up with a breakfast in bed the following morning. He told me that he wanted to be my Edward forever. I smiled and then I laughed. How could he become so affected? Didn’t I just say that he was just cool about it? I looked at him, seriously this time, and told him that he will always be my one and only greatest love. I added that Edward is a mere fantasy. He beamed and then he kissed me.

It came as an epiphany to me that Mark has been very patient with my unconventionalities. He has supported me in everything that I do. He continually embraces my strengths as well as my weaknesses. I’ve found an unconditional love in Mark and I wouldn’t exchange that for anything in the world. Yes, even if Edward Cullen is for real.

Related post: Bookworm Princess

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting! he is the "one" for you jane. That only matters! i adore you both, Take care!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, angel. I hope we can be friends for real. I feel that you and I have a lot in common. Pls email me sometime, okay?

Alpha Romeo said...

After I've read your post, I did some diagnostics and don't be alarmed but I believe you have a rare disease called readanitis. Haha, your a much, much worse reader than me but a least you don't have four eyes yet, I'm already bionic(aka lenses) I only read nonfiction nowadays though. Dili na ka magmahay, I've read your posts, unya nag-comment pa dyud. Till next post.

Anonymous said...

Daghang salamat, alpha romeo. You always make me smile with your witty comments. Keep on dropping by!