Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Left My Heart in Candijay

After the romantic garden wedding of Kenneth and Nina at Chateau de Busay last Saturday, Mark and I went home to Candijay for two days.

I was so excited to feel the breeze of my beloved hometown once again!

Firstly, we had dinner in Cogtong with my family. We feasted on Nanay Daisy’s cooking – deep-fried crabs, vinegared fish, grilled bangus, adobong baboy (seasoned pork), native chicken in coconut milk with lemon grass, and for the dessert, the mouthwatering fruit salad!

My mother is irrefutably the best cook in the world! Just to think of the feast she prepared for us makes me want to go home right now.

The following day, we spent some quality time with my widowed mother-in-law in Sagumay. (By the way, Mark and I are from the same town. We were classmates in high school as well.) Mama Doring, though not much of a good cook, managed to treat us with the yummiest adobong native chicken (more delicious than nanay’s) and fried shrimps; with the mixture of red vinegar, chili, kalamansi and salted fish as sauce. It is something that I look forward to every time I am there.

Then we went driving along the countryside (as we always love to do). I forever love the lush mountains; the green fields of rice, corn, camote, and many other crops; the serene riverside; and, simply the whole laid-back environment.

We also went to Ubay to buy dried danggit, my favorite pure tableya (unsweetened chocolate from cacao), and calamay (concoction of sticky rice, coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and some peanuts) as pasalubong for our friends and neighbors in Cavite City.

I miss home. I miss my family especially my nephew, NJ. Sigh!

One thing for sure, wherever I may go, my heart will always be left in my beloved Candijay.

>drivin' around
>dried fish
>hanged to ripe
>the dam
>so heavenly
>visiting the dead
>shooting with an air gun
>the window
>askal andrew
>the landmark
>the roadside

No comments: